MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » State launches Autumn auction blitz

State launches Autumn auction blitz

The state government is cracking down on underquoting and aiming to making auctions fairer, with an autumn inspection blitz starting this month.

Consumer Affairs Minister Nick Staikos joined more than 20 inspectors on Saturday, March 15 before they headed out to more than 50 auctions across Doncaster and surrounding suburbs following complaints about real estate agent conduct in the area.

The blitz comes after the state introduced a permanent taskforce last year.

Since launching, it has monitored more than 2300 sales campaigns and attended 226 auctions.

It has also issued more than 220 official warnings and more than 160 fines totalling $1.8 million to agents caught breaching their obligations.

Taskforce officers who attend auctions will speak with estate agents and buyers, check for compliance with auction and sales rules, and monitor for potential underquoting.

Multiple court proceedings for serious breaches have also been launched, and other cases are currently under investigation.

Underquoting remains a significant concern facing homebuyers and is the top real estate sales issue people contact Consumer Affairs Victoria about.

Mr Staikos said that the new laws will further protect Victorians – with increased fines for underquoting offences and mandatory training for real estate agents and property managers.

“Buying a house is already stressful enough, without the worry of also having your dreams dashed at the first hurdle by illegal underquoting,” Mr Staikos said.

Since September 2022, Consumer Affairs Victoria has received more than 3740 complaints. Reports are made not only by purchasers – more than 30 per cent of reports in 2024 were from other estate agents, showing that agents are doing the right thing also want this practice stamped out.

The Consumer and Planning Legislation Amendment (Housing Statement Reform) Bill 2024, which passed this month, will increase the maximum penalty for underquoting and other related breaches to $47,422.

The bill will also require real estate agents and property managers to undertake ongoing professional development.

Underquoting can also breach the ban on misleading and deceptive conduct and false representations under the Australian Consumer Law, with maximum penalties of $2.5 million for individuals and $50 million for companies applying.

Victorians are encouraged to report suspected instances of underquoting to Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Details: consumer.vic.gov.au/underquoting

Digital Editions


  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently…

More News

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532699 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 The Newport Lakes Bush Dance Newport Fiddle and Folk Club’s annual bush dance is on 15 March and has been made possible through…

  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which catapults the listener into an…

  • Sports’ finals joy

    Sports’ finals joy

    After a number of tough seasons, Altona Sports is excited for a big finals series in the Bowls Victoria pennant competitions. Having had its top side drop from division 1…

  • Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Almost a decade since it was first announced and half a decade since it first broke ground, the new Footscray Hospital is now open. The doors of the $1.5 billion…

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…