MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Survey results spark bushfire warning

Survey results spark bushfire warning

A recent CFA survey has revealed that 45 per cent of Victorians living in bushfire-prone areas are not concerned about bushfire safety despite being at increased risk.

People in these areas were also waiting too long to leave in the event of a fire, putting themselves and their families in jeopardy.

CFA’s annual Bushfire Community Survey also revealed that 22 per cent of residents did not interact with CFA within the previous six months because they felt they did not require more information or were unaware of CFA’s programs and resources.

CFA Chief Officer Jason Heffernan expressed concern over these statistics, urging all residents in fire-risk areas to take their safety more seriously and begin preparation now.

“Many Victorians may not be aware they’re living in a bushfire-prone area, with fire season fast approaching, it’s vital that Victorians know their level of risk and plan accordingly,” Chief Officer Heffernan said.

“It may be a result of people who are new to the area or who have not experienced a significant fire in the past and are unaware of the dangers. CFA has resources available to help people prepare, but it’s vital that the community actively seeks out this information before it’s too late.”

A further 30 per cent of respondents said they would delay leaving during a bushfire event, with 14 per cent planning to assess the situation and 16 per cent waiting for instructions from emergency services. Twelve per cent stated they would stay and defend their property.

“These are dangerous decisions,” Chief Officer Heffernan added.

“Bushfires can spread unpredictably and quickly. Waiting to assess the situation or hoping for instructions from emergency services can result in tragedy. The safest option is always to leave early. While CFA is well-prepared to respond to emergencies, it’s crucial to remember that bushfire safety is a shared responsibility.”

Victoria’s seasonal bushfire outlook for spring has indicated the west and southwest of the state face increased fire risk due to a notably dry autumn and winter.

The rest of the state is expected to experience a warmer than average spring with an uncertain rainfall outlook.

Victoria’s bushfire warning system includes the Vic Emergency website, app and social media channels, VicEmergency Hotline 1800 226 226, emergency broadcasters including ABC radio, Sky News TV, commercial radio and select community radio stations.

To ensure your household has a bushfire survival plan, visit: www.cfa.vic.gov.au/bushfireplan.

Digital Editions


  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death…

More News

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…