MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » War memorial plaques stolen from Footscray

War memorial plaques stolen from Footscray

Police are hunting for callous thieves who have stolen 111 plaques from the Footscray Memorial Garden on the eve of Remembrance Day.

Seventy-nine of the bronze memorial plaques, paid for by the families of soldiers lost in World Wars I and II, were forcibly prised from their concrete settings last weekend.

On Monday a further 32 were discovered to have been stolen. Maribyrnong Council works crews removed the surviving plaques and they will be stored offsite for safekeeping.

The damage bill is estimated at more than $50,000. 

Footscray RSL president Long Viet Nguyen said the theft was devastating for the families of the fallen soldiers who sacrificed their lives for Australia.

“I came to take a look and see if it is true, it is very disappointing,” he said.

“It is very bad, this vandalism.”

The $380,000 memorial garden, officially unveiled to coincide with Anzac Day 2013, honours the memory of more than 200 Footscray area servicemen and servicewomen who died in World Wars I and II.

The council had relocated about 200 plaques to the new garden in Footscray Park from the Geelong Road avenue of honour, where they had been laid in 1947 but fallen into a state of neglect.

Mr Nguyen said the creation of the memorial garden had been a welcome move and the theft was a blow to the whole community.

“This was a good area for remembering the fallen soldiers, it was open to everyone and they could come and visit for days like Remembrance Day.”

Mr Nguyen said he would discuss with Maribyrnong Council which plaques were missing and what steps could be taken for their replacement if they cannot be recovered.

‘Dismayed’

Maribyrnong City Council chief executive Stephen Wall said the council was dismayed by the theft.

“This is a disgusting act, particularly a week before Remembrance Day,” he said.

“This shows no respect for our local servicemen and women, many who gave their lives. The community has every right to be upset over this.”

Mr Wall said the Council suspects the plaques were stolen to be sold as scrap metal.

“The plaques are highly thought of by the community, so if anyone has any information please contact Footscray Police.”

Maribyrnong mayor Cameron McDonald said he was saddened by the theft and disappointed for the families involved.

“It’s still fairly fresh and raw and too early to say, but I’m sure Council will find a way to make amends for this.”

Police are investigating the incidents and are appealing for anyone with information to come forward. 

Detective Senior Constable Peter Street warned scrap metal dealers to be wary of thieves attempting to sell the plaques and report any suspicious activity to police. 

“This is a low act, particularly with Remembrance Day just around the corner,” Det Sen Const Street said. 

“Someone out there knows who is responsible for this and we are appealing for those people to come forward.” 

In July this year the 1.7m high bluestone, concrete and bronze Dolphin’s Return sculpture, valued at more than $30,000, was stolen from Pipemakers Park in Maribyrnong.

Anyone with any information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report via www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…