MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Warning signs of a stroke

Warning signs of a stroke

The Stroke Foundation is looking ahead to the future, with improved outcomes for survivors of stroke on top of its wish list.

Chief executive officer Sharon McGowan said with more than 27,400 first time strokes expected in Australia in 2022, there is an opportunity to make lives after stroke better.

In the federal electorate of Gellibrand, more than 158 strokes are expected in 2022. In the electorate of Maribyrnong, more than 160 strokes are expected.

“We want all Australians to have the opportunity to celebrate the festive season with their loved ones in a happy and healthy way for decades to come,” Ms McGowan said.

“We believe every person impacted by stroke should be enabled to make the best recovery they can, and return to work, study and family life, where possible. Sadly, our data shows many Australians leave hospital after stroke without the tools they need to recover and live well.”

With a federal election next year, the Stroke Foundation is calling on the incoming government to invest $10m in a StrokeConnect Navigator Program to help survivors live well after stroke.

This national program combines Stroke Foundation’s existing inbound StrokeLine telephone support service, and the various outreach initiatives it currently manages in the ACT, New South Wales, and Tasmania, all under one umbrella.

These programs are critical, but resources are already stretched. Collectively the outreach services support 1000 people each year with funding that allows for less than two full time equivalent staff.

StrokeLine receives approximately 3000 approaches each year, which are managed by fewer than three full time staff.

Centralising StrokeConnect will result in the Stroke Foundation providing a consistent service for all Australians and ensuring survivors aren’t left to navigate the complex health system alone.

The $10m investment will fund 10 “stroke navigators” who would provide digital resources and advice, to ensure the right treatment plans are in place after leaving hospital and connect survivors with relevant recovery supports in their community.

It will also cover the cost of upgrading the technology behind the StrokeLine service.

Ms McGowan said combining these critical services into one program will provide a pathway for every survivor of stroke, ensuring nobody feels like they have fallen into a black hole when they are discharged from hospital.

“When survivors transition from hospital to home to continue their recovery, it is often a stressful, overwhelming and confusing time,” Ms McGowan said.

“While they may be making gains in their recovery physically, adjusting to day-to-day life can be difficult.

“It is common to experience anxiety or depression. There is no doubt the past two years have been even more challenging due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the restrictions on accessing face-to-face services and support groups in some states.

“But it does not have to be this way. There is help available for survivors and their carers to help them manage recovery, but you need guidance to know where to look.”

Digital Editions


  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death…

More News

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…