MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Western distributor route still up in the air

Western distributor route still up in the air

The final route of the $5.5 billion Western Distributor could be up in the air for months after the Victorian government revealed two options for a new tunnel under Yarraville.

Premier Daniel Andrews said last Thursday the government will spend almost $1.5 billion to connect the West Gate Freeway to Citylink and the CBD via a new tunnel under Yarraville and a bridge over the Maribyrnong River, despite earlier claims state funding would not be needed.

The unsolicited proposal by toll-road operator Transurban, which would toll cars about $3 and trucks about $13, dwarfs the $680 million West Gate Distributor project Labor took to the 2014 election.

RELATED: MORE GAIN BEFORE COMMUTER PAIN

Transurban initially suggested it would pay one-third of construction costs, one-third would come from a 10 to 12-year extension to Citylink tolling, and the remaining third could come from the federal government, with no cash needed from Victoria.

But Mr Andrews said the government “is providing certainty to the community” by allocating the $1.46 billion earmarked to come from federal coffers.

“Although we will continue to advocate for the Turnbull government to partner with us on this project, we simply cannot wait to get on with delivering it, and we’re getting it done with or without their support,” the Premier said.

Construction could begin as early as the end of next year and be completed by 2022, but no decision has been made on whether the West Gate Freeway will connect with the Western Distributor tunnel via portals within the freeway reserve, or via ramps leading to portals closer to Yarraville village.

RACV public policy manager Brian Negus said the western distributor is integral to relieving Melbourne’s crippling traffic congestion.

But he also cited concerns about disruptions during construction.

“It is critical that the state government and Transurban ensure that the project is staged to minimise traffic disruption on the West Gate,” Mr Negus said.

Roads minister Luke Donnellan said the state government will continue to consult with residents, industry and councils on the final design.

No business case

But shadow roads and infrastructure minister Ryan Smith said the government is putting Transurban’s interests before those of motorists.

“Victorians still haven’t seen a real business case for the Western Distributor,” Mr Smith said.

“All Daniel Andrews has released is a document with all the detail redacted.”

Western suburbs Greens MP Colleen Hartland said the funding announcement made the project seem like “a done deal”.

“This makes me nervous as to how meaningful consultation will really be,” Ms Hartland said.

“Will the community have a say on the design options?”

 

 

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…