MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Sport » Football » Williamstown curtails the Scorpions sting

Williamstown curtails the Scorpions sting

Williamstown curbed offensive juggernaut Casey Scorpions for a bounce-back 44-point win at Casey Fields on Saturday night.

The Seagulls had to re-group quickly on a six-day turnaround after a loss to Box Hill Hawks in the VFL grand final re-match.

And they did so in devastating fashion to beat the in-form Scorpions 17.12 (114)-11.4 (70).

“A lot of individuals were looking to make amends for their performances last week and as a team we did a lot wrong,” Seagulls football manager Chris Dixon told Star Weekly.

“It was pleasing we could put all the talk about it during the week into action and put in a four-quarter performance.”

Of concern to Williamstown was the Scorpions’ ability to score quickly and heavily, and nothing short of their best football for the full 120 minutes would be enough to bring the four points back to Morris Street.

“Casey have been really dominant in the second halves and particularly in the last quarter,” Dixon said.

“They’d kicked something like 22 goals in their previous two last quarters, so even when we were five or six goals up at three-quarter time, we were mindful that the game was still on the line.”

After taking a six-point lead into quarter time, Williamstown gained the ascendancy with a five goals to two second term.

It all started out of the middle for the Seagulls, with ruckman Nick Meese racking up 52 hit-outs against Scorpion bigs Max King and Oscar McInerny.

Willie Wheeler, aided by some clever tap work from Meese, returned to his best with 14 clearances, while former St Kilda utility Arryn Siposs booted four goals.

Williamstown will return to Burbank Oval on Sunday for a clash with traditional rival Port Melbourne.

The game will start at 11.40am to accommodate Channel Seven’s live broadcast leading into its Sunday AFL game. It’s a game that is unlikely to disappoint the neutral observers.

“They’re coming in with some form, as are we,” Dixon said. “When we play the old enemy, it’s a bit like the Anzac Day game; no matter where the teams are on the ladder, it’s always a good contest.”

Meanwhile, Footscray dropped to 1-2 after a disappointing 18.9 (117)-12.17 (89) loss to Sandringham Zebras at Trevor Barker Oval.

The Bulldogs will now host Werribee Tigers in a mouth-watering contest at Whitten Oval from noon on Saturday.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…