MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Council urged to reject ‘ugly’ 43-dwelling Newport building

Council urged to reject ‘ugly’ 43-dwelling Newport building

Residents opposed to a 43-dwelling, three-storey development on the site of the former Newport Timber Yard are calling on Hobsons Bay councillors to reject an officer’s report that recommends granting a planning permit.

Two previous applications for the site at 6 Paine Street, lodged
by Domain Hill, were refused by the council and also the Victorian Civil
and Administrative Tribunal.

But a council officer’s report states that the third application is “less foreign, more well mannered and less monolithic”.

More than 300 objections have been lodged with the council,
with residents labelling the proposed building “a gross over-development
in one of Newport’s nicest low-density precincts”.

Anthony Simmons, of the Protect Newport residents action group, said the community felt that town planners had “caved in”.

“The consensus is the planners have ignored the community and
their own heritage adviser’s call for a significant redesign. Instead,
they have given in to mediocre and insignificant changes put forward by
the developer.

“The latest application is still a large single
building of 43 units up to four storeys high with an ugly cantilevered
façade and other clearly inappropriate design elements.

“It still significantly exceeds ResCode standards for height and
site coverage. These mass, height, and density issues have not been
addressed in all three of the developer’s applications.”

Applicant, Domain Hill director Peter Cahill, suggested the number of objections was inflated.

“When people go about some aggressive lobbying and you end up with
multiple objections from the one household, including in some cases we
know of, children, these things happen.

“We’ve made a range of changes to the design in order to accommodate the residents’ requests and I’ve got that fairly well documented.”

A decision will be made tomorrow night by a special planning committee of the council. 

Digital Editions


  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called…

More News

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 The Newport Lakes Bush Dance Newport Fiddle and Folk Club’s annual bush dance is on 15 March and has been made possible through…

  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which catapults the listener into an…

  • Sports’ finals joy

    Sports’ finals joy

    After a number of tough seasons, Altona Sports is excited for a big finals series in the Bowls Victoria pennant competitions. Having had its top side drop from division 1…

  • Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Almost a decade since it was first announced and half a decade since it first broke ground, the new Footscray Hospital is now open. The doors of the $1.5 billion…

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…