MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Clean up buffer zone errors, says Hobsons Bay council

Clean up buffer zone errors, says Hobsons Bay council

Hobsons Bay council has called for a correction to the draft Plan Melbourne: Metropolitan Planning Strategy, which refers to land in Kororoit Creek Road next to Mobil’s Altona refinery as solely industrial.

The council also wants the state government to give “formal recognition” to safety buffers around major hazard facilities (MHFs).

Last week’s council meeting heard that precinct 13 in Kororoit Creek Road was partly owned by Mobil. A council report stated potentially homes could be built on it.

Strand ward councillor Angela Altair said “We need to get Plan Melbourne to correct and clarify their identification of that precinct,” she said.

Cr Peter Hemphill, also of Strand ward, told the council meeting the government had “deficiencies” when it came to MHFs.

“That’s particularly an issue that we’ve raised time [and] again with the Port Phillip Mill site. We have a disproportionate amount of MHFs in our municipality; I think there are eight out of something like 43.”

Mayor Sandra Wilson said several concerns specific to Hobsons Bay needed to be addressed, including “planning around industrial areas and major hazard facilities and the formal recognition of buffer zones”.

Mobil spokeswoman Melanie Saliba said: “Mobil understands that all of the land in precinct 13 is currently zoned industrial”.

Mobil has previously joined the council in requesting the government give “more serious consideration” to residential development near MHFs.

As reported by the Weekly last month, a parliamentary vote for an inquiry into buffers between residential development and MHFs was defeated in the upper house 20-18. Labor and Greens MPs supported an inquiry, but it was opposed by Coalition MPs.

Melbourne’s west has 13 registered MHFs.

Digital Editions


  • Right royal progress

    Right royal progress

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 432421 Williamstown amateur historian Barb McNeill is Star Weekly’s history columnist. This week she recounts a drama-filled visit to…

More News

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on 11 April, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s Day is #BalanceTheScales – a…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp as well as its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options are set to become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…