MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Council merger would be a major mistake, says councillor

Council merger would be a major mistake, says councillor

A Maribyrnong councillor has rejected calls for the city to merge with neighbouring councils as a way to reduce property rates.

Cr Michael Clarke said talk of potential mergers stretched back to the 1990s.

Last week, the Weekly reported that residents rallying against high property rates had called for the state government to consider absorbing Maribyrnong council into other council areas to better spread residential rates.

Maribyrnong mayor Grant Miles said he was personally in favour of merging Maribyrnong with Hobsons Bay.

But Cr Clarke said such a move would be a major mistake given the work Maribyrnong had done to reduce the “infrastructure gap”.

Any savings would be overwhelmed by the cost of fixing infrastructure in areas where other councils had been lagging. “With the greatest respect to the mayor, a council whose financial position was so remarkably strong in relation to other municipalities would have no reason to want to join with them,” he said.

Cr Clarke said the council could look at improving its shared service agreements with other councils as one way of reducing the need for doubling up with machinery and contracts that could be shared across neighbouring councils.

Hobsons Bay mayor Sandra Wilson said as the matter had not been formally considered by the council it had no official position.

Victorian Local Government Association president Cr Sebastian Klein said residents outraged over rates must consider the services the community expected from councils, including childcare centres, libraries and recreation facilities along with “roads and rubbish”.

The Ratepayers Victoria Association suggests people should refuse to pay the general rates portion of their bill.

But the Municipal Association of Victoria said this “ill-conceived advice” would result in penalty interest of 11.5 per cent and the potential for legal action.

Anyone facing genuine financial hardship is urged to contact their council and arrange a payment plan or rates deferral.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…