MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Newport parents say kindergarten cuts not so kind

Newport parents say kindergarten cuts not so kind

Kindergarten parents could face higher fees and cuts to their children’s programs if the federal government stops funding five preschool hours a week.

Budget papers reveal funding for the universal access program that provides an additional five hours of four-year-old preschool education is only guaranteed up to December.

President of Home Road Kindergarten at Newport, Jo Sutton, said she had written to Assistant Education Minister Sussan Ley to say that reducing preschool hours from 15 hours to 10 would be a backward step.

Ms Sutton said her youngest child would be ready to be enrolled in four-year-old kinder when the change came in to effect in 2016.

The state government says it will continue to fund 10 hours of preschool but will not increase this funding to cover the additional five hours if the Commonwealth withdraws funding.

“Parents will not be able to cover large fee increases that will occur if the Australian government withdraws its commitment to this program,” Ms Sutton said. “The consequences are large in our centre: basically, the number of hours is going to go down, the number of staff we require and the fees that we charge could all change.

“At the moment it’s around $390 per term. Potentially, it could go up a lot more.”

Sarah Yallop, whose four-year-old daughter is in kinder and starts school next year, said

there was a massive difference between 15 hours versus 10 hours in terms of school preparation.

“It’s only ramped up to 15 hours for four-year-old children in the last couple of years,” she said.

“I think for the federal government to pull out of something so important, that’s had so much funding and infrastructure put in to it from the state and local point of view as well, without giving it a real chance to succeed, is just such a shame.”

Gellibrand MP Tim Watts said the threatened cuts to early childhood funding should be alarming to all parents in Melbourne’s west.

“Cutting early childhood funding to only 10 hours a week will place huge stress on the budgets of our kindergartens.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…