MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Hobsons Bay: Parents want childcare kept in-house

Hobsons Bay: Parents want childcare kept in-house

A campaign to save two Hobsons Bay childcare centres from being outsourced has been renewed amid fears about the impact on staff, parents and children.

The Save Our Centres campaign aims to keep the Altona North and Altona Meadows childcare centres in council hands.

In February, the council put on hold a proposal to outsource the centres to save $300,000 after more than 1000 people signed a petition against the move.

Rachel Hart, who has a three-year-old daughter at Altona North and a newborn on the waiting list, said parents had made a strong case to consultants conducting a review.

“At the community session last week there was overwhelming support for council to have a role in the operation and management of early childhood services in Hobsons Bay,’’ she said.

“It was evident from the parents in the room that waiting lists are long and people were actively trying to get into these two centres because of the renowned quality of care.”

Australian Services Union women’s officer Jane Karslake said outsourcing the centres would jeopardise the quality of care and put jobs at risk. Sixty-seven staff would have to reapply for their jobs and could face a $12,000 pay cut. Under the current agreement, the council pays staff above award wages.

“If they are successful in keeping their jobs, their current employment conditions are only going to be maintained until 2016, at which point their wages will be reduced,” Ms Karslake said.

A certificate III-qualified educator could have their annual pay slashed from $49,000 to $37,000.

Ms Karslake said it was ludicrous to consider outsourcing services in the uncertain political climate. Federal budget papers show funding for the program, which provides an additional five hours of four-year-old preschool education, is only guaranteed to December.

“We’re not just talking about a little bit of uncertainty. This is uncertainty that absolutely puts everything up in the air for all families who need to hold down two jobs, and that’s the majority of families in the community,” Ms Karslake said.

Hobsons Bay mayor Sandra Wilson said the council was monitoring proposed changes to government funding and undertaking a thorough, independent review.

Digital Editions


  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in…

More News

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…