MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Seabrook fast-food bid: Residents in tears, reveal panic attacks

Seabrook fast-food bid: Residents in tears, reveal panic attacks

Seabrook residents broke down in tears as they spoke of the stress caused by a BP service station backing on to their homes where a developer wants to build four fast-food restaurants.

Miro Sloup (Jasbe Petroleum) has applied for a permit for four restaurants at 144E Point Cook Road, with 6.6-metre walls just 2.5 metres from residents’ backyard fences. Plans show 17 car spaces for restaurants seating 52 people.

The restaurants would operate from 7am-11pm seven days a week, with traffic reports estimating they would draw two cars a minute during peak times.

Twenty-two objections were submitted to Hobsons Bay council, with concerns including loss of amenity, overshadowing, noise, odour, light spill, antisocial behaviour and parking and traffic issues.

Linda Watts, who spoke at a special planning committee (SPC) meeting of council on Thursday night, said four restaurants would worsen residential amenity, which was already suffering because of the service station.

“I’m suffering panic attacks,” she said. “I’ve fallen into a very nasty depression, which now I’m going to have to get medicated for. This has caused me an amazing amount of stress.”

Taxi driver Driss Azougga said the service station, where he filled up with petrol, already created hell for residents like him.

“I’ve been whacked in the face, had stones thrown at the house,” he said. “Please stop this.”

Brian Morrison said he got so little sleep because of the BP operations that he crashed his car after falling asleep at the wheel.

The SPC panel, comprising councillors Peter Hemphill, Carl Marsich and Paul Morgan, rejected the application – and went even further.

They ordered immediate action to enforce current permit conditions in relation to the service station and voted to write to BP expressing concerns raised by residents.

The panel also resolved to investigate traffic management at the service station.

Acting for the developer, Nicola McGowan said an appeal against the council’s refusal would be lodged at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Asked if she was moved by residents’ experiences, Ms McGowan said their concerns weren’t about what was proposed.

“Many of their concerns are in relation to what is already happening on the site and that is not a part of this planning permit application,” she said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…