MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » ‘Priceless’ trains burnt

‘Priceless’ trains burnt

By Goya Dmytryshchak

A four-carriage ‘swinging door’ train dating back to 1886 was destroyed after an electrical fault caused a huge fire at the Newport Railway Workshops early last Wednesday morning.

The train had undergone restoration by Steamrail Victoria over 35 years and was only months away from operating as a living museum on the metropolitan railway network.

The fire at the Champion Road site, which started about 1.20am, also caused extensive damage to two heritage-listed buildings which were the birthplace of many of Victoria’s locomotives and carriages.

VicTrack leases the workshops, built between 1884 and 1888, to Steamrail Victoria.

Steamrail Victoria board director Michael McGlade said volunteers, some of whom had worked over the 35 years to restore the carriages, were devastated by the loss.

“There are three restored carriages destroyed: one each from 1886, 1889 and 1907, and we had one unrestored there from 1904.

“They used to operate on the Melbourne metropolitan network when it was operated by steam and then they were converted to electric and ran until the 1970s.

“They’re the last of those carriages in Victoria, so the oldest suburban carriages. It’s a major loss for the state.”

Mr McGlade said the destroyed 140-year-old train set would have been one of the oldest operating electric trains in the world and a major tourist attraction for Melbourne.

“The carriages are irreplaceable,” he said. “Not only were they among the last ones in existence, they were also the most intact.”

Valuable restoration tools and equipment were also destroyed in the blaze.

MFB spokesman Steve Moore said the blaze covered an area of about 50 square metres and flames were shooting through the roof when the first crew arrived.

Firefighters had difficulty accessing water, and three aerial crews were called in.

Specialist Hazmat workers were hosing down trucks and decontaminating firefighters and vehicles on Wednesday morning due to asbestos in the building.

Eighty firefighters took more than two hours to bring the fire under control. Most of the building was saved but the damage bill is expected to run into hundreds of thousands, along with the priceless loss of history.

MFB fire investigator Damian O’Toole said the blaze was caused by an electrical fault.

“There’s been an electrical fault with the wiring causing it to ignite combustibles under the train,” he said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…