MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Hillside: Man tells of horror over truckie road rage

Hillside: Man tells of horror over truckie road rage

A Hillside man has been left shaken after a road rage incident on the Western Ring Road on Tuesday morning.

John, from Hillside, was travelling west on the right-hand lane of the Western Ring Road at about 11.20am when a truck driver started to tailgate him.

He said he was rammed three times by the truck, with the final hit forcing him to veer off the road into the centre median strip and into a light pole. 

John, whose silver Nissan 4WD has been written off, he describes himself “lucky to be alive”.

He escaped with no serious injuries, but said the accident brought back bad memories of another serious accident he had six years ago.

John said he was left shaken and concerned for the safety of other drivers with the truck driver still at large.

“It was not an accident, he did ram me,” John said.

“It just happened – bang bang bang,” he said.

“It was a deliberate push off the road.”

He said he was driving at least 80km/h at the time of the ramming incident.

“It was scary, I could have been killed. I’m lucky it was only me in the car, if there was someone else he could have killed them.”

“[And] I was lucky I didn’t kill no one else.”

John was treated at the scene by paramedics for shock and whiplash.

He described the truck driver as an “idiot” and “gutless wonder”.

After the ramming, the truck driver accelerated rapidly, veering across three lanes and exiting at the Keilor Park Drive exit. 

Police are investigating the incident and are appealing for public information to help identify the truck driver. 

Constable Jagy Singh Kehal from Keilor Downs police said police were trying their best to identify the truck driver.

“It’s not professional [driving] … it’s always good to be safe and keep a safe distance. It doesn’t matter what the situation is, safety should be paramount,” Constable Kehal said. 

He urged all drivers to follow the road rules and do the right thing.

The truck is described as being a white cab-over semi which was towing a plain white trailer. 

The incident occurred between the Calder Freeway overpass and the Keilor Park Drive exit. 

Can you help?

Anyone with information about the driver or the incident is being urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…