MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Parking permit woes forcing family split

Parking permit woes forcing family split

Maribyrnong council has defended its strict parking permit policy after a Footscray family claimed it faces being split by inflexible restrictions.

The policy limits to two the number of permits available for any residence in the council-designated ‘Footscray zone’.

Newell Street resident Lauren Beldie says the council’s strict limit means her three children are being forced to park blocks away from home or run the risk of racking up fines for parking without a valid permit.

Their only other alternative, she says, would be to move out of the family home.

Ms Beldie said her three children were of driving age and needed cars to undertake work and study, while she and her husband also needed private transport to reach their work as teachers in western suburbs schools.

“We don’t really have any alternatives; the council hasn’t been helpful at all.”

 
“The whole street and surrounding streets have parking restrictions,” she said.

“You would really have to park a long way away or my children will have to continually move their cars. We don’t really have any alternatives; the council hasn’t been helpful at all.

“My daughter has already been fined and it will keep happening if they park anywhere around here.”

Ms Beldie said the family was previously entitled to four permits before the number was halved when the council implemented its new residential parking permit policy in 2014.

The rules are aimed at ensuring residents have “a reasonable opportunity to a car parking space in proximity to their premises”, while balancing increased parking demands due to higher-density residential development, a rise in car ownership, more rail commuters seeking all-day parking and higher demand near shopping and activity centres.

Ms Beldie said her family was far from unique, with many people living with their parents longer in the face of high rental and property costs.

“This is a well-documented social phenomenon,” she said.

She said she understood the need for permit guidelines but questioned a lack of flexibility to consider individual circumstances.

No exceptions

Maribyrnong council acting director of planning services Steven Lionakis said there were no exceptions or exemptions to the rules.

“Issuing permits over and above the allowable number would make the policy untenable.”

Mr Lionakis said a review of the policy considered at a December 15 council meeting confirmed the maximum number of permits to be issued per household.

“The number of available permits ensures all residents have a reasonable opportunity, but no guarantee, of a car parking space in proximity to their premises,” he said.

“There may be times when residents have to leave their vehicle a distance away from home but within an unrestricted area to avoid penalties.”

The next policy review is due in June 2017.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…