MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Mother and daughter killed in Footscray fire shared ‘enormous’ love

Mother and daughter killed in Footscray fire shared ‘enormous’ love

A mother and daughter killed in a fire in Footscray this week had an “enormous” love for each other, according to distraught family.

Tanya and Zoe Elizabeth Burmeister, along with an unidentified male known as ‘Bluey’, were squatting in the former Kinnears rope factory in Footscray last Wednesday night when Darren Patrick Clover, 52, allegedly lit the fire that took their life.

Clover was arrested on Thursday and charged with three counts of murder, arson causing death, and arson.

Sharren Jeffs said she was devastated by the death of her daughter, Tanya, and beloved granddaughter, Zoe, in such tragic circumstances.

“The love they had for each other was just enormous,” she said.

Zoe Elizabeth Burmeister.
Zoe Elizabeth Burmeister.

Ms Jeffs said it had been about a week since she had last heard from Tanya, 32, and Zoe, 15.

“I thought Zoe was under the DHS, but she wanted to be with her mum,” she said. “You can’t just tie her up; they wanted to be together.

“I would just like to bury my daughter and granddaughter.”

Ms Jeffs said Clover was known to Tanya and Zoe.

A friend of Tanya’s said he was shocked by the tragedy. “Tanya didn’t deserve the way she went, and the others …”

Tanya Burmeister
Tanya Burmeister

The owner of a nearby milk bar said Tanya and the unidentified man would come in each day to use the pay phone and withdraw money from the ATM. “We never had any trouble with them; they were always nice, here every day,” she said.

The blaze came just one day after Maribyrnong council approved plans for the $63 million first stage of the Kinnears site redevelopment.

Mayor Catherine Cumming said the council received complaints from a resident about six months ago about squatters occupying the site.

She said a local laws officer visited the site on a few occasions before locating one of the squatters and providing him with brochures and contact details for homeless service organisations.

“As well as that, the council put orders on the developer to secure the site.”

Flowers left at the scene. Photo by Benjamin Millar
Flowers left at the scene. Photo by Benjamin Millar

Site owner R & F Estate Pty Ltd said in a statement it had 24-hour security on the site and was saddened and distressed about the loss of life in the fire.

Footscray police’s Inspector Adrian Healy said police would meet with Maribyrnong council this week to discuss the extent of squatting in the area.

“We are also keen to learn whether there is any relocation of people to the area who are being forced out of the CBD.”

Clover is due to appear via video link for a committal mention on Thursday.

Digital Editions


  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan…

More News

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s Day is #BalanceTheScales – a…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp as well as its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options are set to become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…