MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Sport » Other Sports » Bulldogs out to stop the yo-to

Bulldogs out to stop the yo-to

The yo-yo stops now for Yarraville-Footscray.

The Bulldogs are hellbent on making their mark in the Bowls Victoria premier division from 2015-16, and beyond.

Over the past three summers, the Dogs have won two division 1 premierships, and were relegated from the top-flight in between.

To put an end to the chopping and changing of divisions, the Bulldogs have recruited with the intention of sustaining their presence in Melbourne’s top bowls league.

“We need to stay there now,” Bulldogs’ coach Wayne Roberts told Star Weekly.

“We had that grounding in premier division for 12 months, two years ago, and they realise what it’s about now.

“They’re not going to go in blind … they know what it’s all about, and they’ve got to take the next step.”

Yarraville-Footscray launched the new season at its Francis Street home on Saturday, unfurling the division 1 flag, and rolling down a ceremonial first bowl of the season.

It was effectively the launch of a new era for the Bulldogs.

Last time it was in premier division, the club decided to reward the players who put it there, largely neglecting to recruit, instead giving those 16 players a shot at top-line bowls for the season.

Inevitably, the Bulldogs were relegated, but now they have experience to draw on.

Roberts wasted no time recruiting for this season.

The club has 17 new faces, with at least four considered a chance for the round one line-up, including Chris Ball, from Kew Heights, Nathan Murray of Richmond Union, Jamie Banks of Torquay and Dan Stewart of Grovedale.

“They’ve all been there, done that [in premier division], and they’re young,” Roberts said.

“They’re all under 25, so we’re slowly getting a younger side and, hopefully, we can keep them together.

“It’s going to be a two or three-year process, but we think we’re on the right track to have a reasonable side for the next few years.”

More importantly, the Bulldogs have retained the whole squad that took out the division 1 flag last season.

“Everyone that was part of the flag last year is still there,” Roberts said.

“We haven’t lost anybody; we’ve picked up a few, and it not only makes our top side stronger, it makes the other sides stronger.

“We’ve got two teams in division 2 this year, and we need one to jump up to division 1.

“It’s all positive.”

The new season begins in October.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…